The Welfare Society, Inc. (WSI) was started as a social club known as the Northside Christian Association in 1906. It was located on the corner of 9th and New Hampshire . The club later changed its name to The Neighborhood House. In 1917, the name was once again changed to the Welfare Society.
The Board of Education needed the land at 9th and New Hampshire for a playground for Hayward school. As a result, the land at 1430 North 10th St. was purchased on June 16, 1926. The present structure was opened on Thanksgiving Day, 1927.
Activities at WSI include monthly meetings for members, contributions to numerous charities, a children's Christmas program, soup suppers, publishing of a quarterly newsletter, bingo, coffee club and other special events.
The building is also available for rent for special events like weddings, receptions, birthday parties, anniversaries and other celebrations. The two story building will hold approximately 150 people on each floor. The upper floor has a stage and bar, and the lower floor has a kitchen and bar area. Call us at (402) 477-0787 for convenient PARKING RENTAL during HUSKER FOOTBALL home games!
Currently, WSI has a thriving membership of 260. WSI continues to accept membership applications from men and women who are sponsored by current members. Benefits of membership include attendance at members-only events, camaraderie, and discounted hall rental rates.
For a list of current Board of Directors, please click here. For a map and directions to WSI Hall, please click here.